Nottingham's first civic college was opened in the city centre in 1881, four years after the foundation stone was laid by former Prime Minister, W E Gladstone. An anonymous benefactor had offered £10,000 for a college on condition that a suitable building be erected by the Council and that the college should be provided with £4,000 a year. 1928 - The move to University Park After the First World War, the college outgrew its original building. A generous gift by Sir Jesse Boot, of 35 acres of land at Highfields, presented the solution and in 1928 the College moved to what is now the main campus, University Park. Initially, it was accommodated in the elegant Trent Building and was officially opened by King George V in November of that year. Even in its early days on this site, the College attracted high profile visiting lecturers including Professor Albert Einstein, Mahatma Gandhi and H G Wells. 1948 – Becoming The University of Nottingham In 1948, the college was awarded the Royal Charter and became The University of Nottingham, now able to award degrees in its own name. During this period the School of Agriculture was established when the Midland College of Agriculture at Sutton Bonington merged with the University. Continued growth The University of Nottingham continued to grow and still focuses on its development. The Medical School: In 1970 we established the UK’s first Medical School in the 20th century, and in 1995 the School of Nursing was formed following the merger of the Mid-Trent College of Nursing and Midwifery. In 2003 a new campus was opened in Derby City General Hospital Jubilee Campus: The £50 million Jubilee Campus development opened in 1999 and subsequently phase two opened in March 2009. The campus has won numerous awards due to its environmentally-friendly features Malaysia Campus: The University opened a campus in Malaysia in 2000. Subsequently a new purpose-built park campus was opened in September 2005 in Semenyih, Malaysia, close to Kuala Lumpur International Airport King’s Meadow Campus: In March 2005 The University opened the King’s Meadow Campus in the former Carlton Television Studios. The campus is home to many of The University’s administrative and support units, Manuscripts and Special Collections and two television studios China Campus: The University admitted its first students in the city of Ningbo, China in 2004, and the purpose-built campus was formally opened in February 2006, as part of a joint venture. The University then became the first foreign university to establish an independent campus in China. School of Veterinary Medicine and Science: The University of Nottingham officially opened the School of Veterinary Medicine and Science in April 2007 (having admitted its first students in September 2006). It was the first purpose-built new veterinary school to be opened in the UK in 50 years
Turing International Scholarships at University of Nottingham, UK 2022-23 is open for International Students . The scholarship allows Research level programm(s) in the field of All Subjects taught at University of Nottingham
The candidates selected for this scholarship will be awarded a grant of up to £2,290 for a six-week Research Expedition with Operation Wallacea and additionally also up to 50-60% of the total cost to a student.
Subscribe to get the updates